9 June 2023
Lazaros Efraimoglou CV
LAZAROS D. EFRAIMOGLOU
(1932 - 2013)
Founder & President of FHW
He was born in 1932 in Athens; his parents were refugees from Sparta of Pisidia in Asia Minor. In 1961, he married Ourania Kli and they have one son, Dimitris, who was born in 1965.
He studied in Athens College. He then studied Finance and Textiles in the University of Leeds and he graduated (with Honours) in 1952.
╠┴╔═ CULTURAL ACTIVITY
In 1993 he founded, together with his wife and son, the Foundation of the Hellenic World (FHW). The Foundation is a privately funded not-for-profit cultural institution and its mission is the preservation and dissemination of Hellenic history and culture through new technologies, both within and outside the Greek borders. The Foundation has created a cultural centre, Hellenic Cosmos, whose museum areas present the history of Hellenism through space and time, dealing with all human endeavours.
PUBLIC LIFE ACTIVITIES
- He was professionally active in the fields of textile enterprises, urban construction, banking and portfolio management companies.
- One of the founders and former Vice President of "Ergobank SA", founder and former President of "Ergo Investment SA" and former Managing Director of "Eriourgia 3A SA".
- Former Vice President of the Board of Directors of "EFG Eurobank-Ergasias SA".
- President of the "Society of Textile Engineers" from 1961 to 1964.
- He was elected Member of the Board of Directors of the "Athens Chamber of Commerce and Industry", in 1963, General Secretary in 1974, Vice President in 1977, President in 1978, re-elected in 1983 until 1988.
- Founder and President of the "Central Union of Greek Chambers of Commerce", in 1981, re-elected in 1983 and 1985, until 1988.
- Vice President of the "Association of European Chambers of Commerce", in 1985, re-elected in 1986 and in 1987.
- Headed more than 35 Greek Economic and Commercial Delegations to countries in Europe, North and South America, Asia and Africa.
- Member of the "Capital Market Committee, the Committee of Elimination of Disincentives" and other advisory committees from 1976 till 1981.
- Elected Member of the "Greek Parliament", in November 1989, re-elected in April 1990.
- Member of the Parliamentary Committees on Finance, Production and Commerce. Chairman and President of the Greek British Parliamentary Group.
- Elected Vice President of the Parliamentary Assembly of the "Council of Europe", Head of the Greek Delegation & Member of Committees on Finance and Environment – Regional Development – Local Administrative Units.
- Greek Representative of the "Action Committee for the European Union" which is based in Paris.
- He was elected in the end of 2005 member of the Committee for Structural Reforms at the Ministry of Economy and Finance.
- Honorary Member of the "Council of Europe".
- Member of the "European Academy of Sciences and Arts" of Austra.
- Corresponding Member of the Rumanian Academy in the field of Economic Sciences.
- Honorary President of the "Central Union of Greek Chambers".
- Honorary President of the "Athens Chamber of Commerce and Industry".
- Honorary President of the "Greek-Israeli Chamber of Commerce & Technology".
OTHER SOCIAL ACTIVITIES
- Honorary plaque from the Charitable Association of Social Care of Moschato “Academy of Love”, in recognition of his work and his contribution to society, 2011.
- Honorary distinction XENIA for his long term contribution to the promotion of the Hellenic spirit and culture, 2008
- Honorary Distinction by the Rumanian Academy with the Academic Diploma of Virtue, as a recognition for his contribution of European Cultural Heritage through the use of new technologies (2008)
- "SOFIIS" Award by the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens "as the Highest Honor to the Foundation of the Hellenic World" (2008)
- Honorary Award by the Friends Association of Porto Heli, for his contribution to Greece, 2008
- Award by the "Association of Sparta of Asia Minor" for his contribution to Hellenic culture, 2008
- "Poseidon" Award by the Hellenic Federation of Friends of Museums (EOSFIM) for his internationally acclaimed activity and contribution for the promotion of Hellenic culture through modern technologies, 2008
- Honorary Distinction by the Association of Culture, Science and Social Intervention for his significant contribution to the promotion and dissemination of Hellenism, 2008.
- Honorary Distinction by the Hellenic Association of Professional Congress Organizers (HAPCO) for his work and his long term contribution to the promotion and dissemination of Hellenic culture, 2008.
- Award by the Rotarian Club of Kifissia for his significant social and cultural work, 2007.
- Award of Social Contribution by the Entrepreneurship Club, as part of the "Kouros 2007" Awards, for his extremely important social and cultural work, 2007.
- Award "AHI Hellenic Heritage Public Service" by the "American Hellenic Institute," in 2007.
- Award by the Cultural Association of the Municipality of Trikolonon for his social and cultural work. He was proclaimed "Great Benefactor", in 2003.
- "Gold Medal of Honor and Charity" of the city of Athens, Municipality of Athens, in 2001.
- Award by the Association of Graduates of the "American College of Greece", in 2001.
- Gold Medal by the "Rotarian Club of Piraeus", in 2001.
- Medal by the "International Centre Kostas Kyriazis", in 2001.
- Medal of Honor and Charity by the Municipality of Filothei, in 2001.
- Award "Enterprise and Tradition 2001" by the "Athens Chamber of Commerce and Industry", honoring the Efraimoglou family for their enterprising activity for four generations (in spite of the Asia Minor Catastrophe in 1922 and the two World Wars).
- "Silver Medal of the Order of Ethics and Political Sciences" by the "Academy of Athens", in 2000.
- Medal of the "Commander of the Order of Phoenix of Hellenic Republic", in 1999.
- Medal of "Estia Neas Ionias", in 1999.
- Special Award Mediterranean ECS by the Xynis Educational Group, in 1998.
- Special Honorary Diploma by the "Union of Smyrniots", in 1998.
- Honorary Diploma by the "Cultural Association of Greek Women", in 1997.
- Medal by the "Association of Sparta of Asia Minor", in 1989 and in 1995.
- Medal of the "Council of Europe" in 1994.
- Medal of the City of Jerusalem, in 1993.
- Medal of the "Athens Chamber of Commerce and Industry", in 1988.
- Medal of the "Central Union of Greek Chambers of Commerce", in 1987.
- Medal of the "Hellenic Management Association", in 1987.
- Corresponding member of the "International Textile Institute".
- Founding member of two orphanages (one for boys & one for girls), in Athens.
- Funded the restoration of a Byzantine monastery in Stemnitsa, in Peloponnesus.
- Founding member of the "Society for Programming and Developing Church Property".
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of the "Centre for Asia Minor Studies".
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of the "KAT Hospital".
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of the "Empeirikos Foundation".
- Founder, in 1993, and President of the "Foundation of the Hellenic World".
- Lifetime Fellow of the "Greek Archeological Society" and former Treasurer of the Board of Directors.
- Former Vice President and Member of the Board of Directors of the "Foundation for Thracian Art and Tradition".
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Hellenic American Educational Foundation since 2006.